Wednesday, August 28, 2013

So Long, Belize

Wow. That was quick.  The more I read about Belize, the colder my feet got. I'm sure I'll still visit there sometime...while I'm living in Mexico. One day, after reading a forum with several people who had known people who were killed with machetes there, I asked my husband, "If we have to shop in Mexico, get medical care in Mexico, buy wine in Mexico, etc., why don't we check out Mexico as a place to live?"

So...he said, "Check it out." I think he was getting cold feet too, mostly by looking at the cost of property down there. True, we live in a part of the U.S. where property prices are pretty low, but for a comparable house, we wouldn't be saving much buying down there. And that's not even on the beach.  

My SMART college kid son pointed out one reason that's so. Since their currency is tied to the dollar, their prices don't fluctuate in comparison to ours. Makes sense.

Anyway, after ONE DAY looking at Mexico, I was hooked. In Chelem, we can buy a house on the beach with white sand up to the door and a seaside pool for under $200,000.  And the music is better. And Merida, a  beautiful, culturally rich city is just 20 min. down a paved six lane highway. I don't think Belize every HAS six lane highways anywhere.




Yes, we need to learn Spanish, but you really need to know it to live in Corozal too. And I need to learn Pesos and Centigrade.  
BBC:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/primarylanguages/spanish/
MIT: http://search.mit.edu/search?site=ocw&client=mit&getfields=*&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=http%3A%2F%2Focw.mit.edu%2Fsearch%2Fgoogle-ocw.xsl&proxyreload=1&as_dt=i&oe=utf-8&departmentName=web&filter=0&courseName=&q=spanish&btnG.x=21&btnG.y=9

No comments:

Post a Comment